Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A letter remembering Dolton Mayor Bill Shaw

I want to thank you for writing that article about Mayor Shaw.

I am teary eyed while writing this.

It is nice to see kind words written about the Mayor; no you won't see a memorial on his life on the popular news broadcasts.

I remember having nowhere to live or to go. I was at odds with my family and was sleeping in my car, looking for a job.

I went to the Village and asked if there was anywhere I could eat and find shelter. I was turned away by police officers and even the trustees.

One day, I wrote a letter. The letter was to mayor Shaw.

In the letter were my grades, a resume, and a letter asking him for a job.

Instead of going to the village I ran up to his door step that was guarded by a police car. Ms. Deborah, took my letter and the next day the Mayor called me personally to test for a job at the village. I passed and worked there for 2 ½ years.

That Job put me and my son back on our feet!

Mayor Shaw was the only Mayor you could walk up to and he would actually take the time to listen. People say what they want. But the Mayor couldn’t do it all by himself. It is up to each individual to make a change.

He saved my life.

L. H.

No comments: