Friday, May 22, 2009

Never been prouder to be an American than today -- Readers write back

Some comments from readers on my column about being proud to be an American under President Barack Obama:

Here's the column link -- CLICK HERE

Re: Obama's speech and never being prouder.

My comment: As I was reading, I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.What utter, disingenuous nonsense on your part, and on the president's. You have taken conjectural rhetoric that is as far removed from reality as one can make it. It's truly a shining example of the demise of journalism in this country (give me some credit, that's my profession as well) and a reflection of the lack of honest discourse in American politics today. Nearly everything you based your opinions on are flimsy, stale and utter misrepresentations of actual events or the true significance of what has been happening in our country since 9/11.

I can't be any less proud this morning to be an American after reading your column.I'm sorry.Ray

=== === ===

Dear Ray,

I have no idea who you are or what type of program you host, but after yesterday’s embarrassing performance by the man I consider to be one of the most cowardly in recent history, I welcome your opinion. I welcome it not only because you served in the military, but you made sense in your criticisms. I, as well as most of the nation that does not suffer from short term memory loss, remember the fear and hate mongering knee jerk reaction after the attacks of September 11th. I also remember the old saying, “When the going gets tough, the tough get going”. It did not say “hiding”, which is what cheney did.

Thank you for taking the high road and not sinking to the gutter tactics of the rove/cheney playbook.

Sincerely,
Mark F
New Jersey

No comments: