Saturday, August 9, 2008

It's not over yet for John Edwards

I used to really like John Edwards. Before Hillary Clinton, he was my first choice for president. I still do like him, sort of. But as each denial from him comes out, I am finding that I like him less and less.

I met Edwards and I participated in several conference calls with him when he was considering running for president and then became a vice presidential candidate in 2004. I followed him when he ran during the past year. He was a very likable person. Of course, everyone born in 1953 is likable (including me.)

Yet, deep down I can't help but to believe that John Edwards is still lying. He lied about having an affair and now has come "clean." Yet, he seems like he is qualifying everything, instead of coming clean.

He was asked about a photo in which a man who looked like him was holding a little baby that belonged to his girlfriend and former staff person, Rielle Hunter, and instead of saying he did or did not meet the baby, insisted that the picture could or might not be him. It's the trait of a liar to pretend to tell the truth but work hard at mincing words in order to walk around the truth.

I don't believe we have the truth yet from Edwards and I don't think I am alone. I think Edwards needs to tell the truth. The whole truth. And nothing but the truth. Why? Well, I recognize that a person's personal life is really no one's business. But, after you held yourself up to the level of moral and principled heights that marked your public campaign to win over the support of the American people, you owe it to us to tell us whether you were duping us, too, on the issue of whether you would make a good president.

Your private life is now public and you have a moral and principled obligation to set the record straight. Either you did or did not father the child. What else are you hiding? How many other women are there from your past campaign trail on which the shoulders of millions of Americans relied?

Tell the truth John. Quit playing games. Avoiding the truth and playing games with the way you answer things will do more harm to you and your family than admitting the ugly absolute truth.

But, you won't know that until it's too late and you keep lying, unfortunately. It's tragic to see your fall. I admired you and so did many millions of Americans.

Ray Hanania
www.TheMediaOasis.com

No comments: